Legislate for X
Thank you to our members and friends who have participated in our online campaign to push for legislation for the X case.
To date, over 72,000 emails have been sent to TDs from over 16,000 peoplein every constituency in Ireland since we launched the campaign at the start of November.
The response has been phenomenal and in late December the government made a commitment to pass legislation to give effect to the X case by the summer recess. The decision is to be welcomed and it is a historic event for women’s health rights.
We need to keep up the pressure and let our politicians know that we support their decision to legislate, the legislation needs to fully implement the X case, abortion needs to be decriminalised and the legislation needs to be enacted as a matter of urgency.
We urge you now to take the following 5 steps to drive this campaign forward;
1. Log onto http://www.nwci.ie/takeaction/ and make contact with your local TDs and Senators with our new template letter. It takes two minutes and it will be of critical importance in this period until the Heads of Bill are published after the Easter recess.
2. Talk to your friends, family and work colleagues and ask them to become involved in our online campaign
3. Ring or visit your TD – this is even more powerful in making known your support for the legislation.
4. Forward this email on to at least 10 people you know and encourage them to take action.
5. Post our action page up on Facebook and Twitter and participate in any public marches being organised around the country.
The next couple of months is of critical importance in sending your TDs a clear message that you support the government decision to legislate and what that legislation should contain. If fair legislation is passed it will be a historic day for women’s health rights in Ireland and you have contributed to that historic event.
Thank you very much for your support of this campaign and if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Women’s Health and Human Rights Worker
National Women’s Council of Ireland
4th Floor, 2-3 Parnell Square East
Tel: +353 1 8787248
Fax: +353 1 8787301