Pro Choice Pro Sexuality:
A Manifesto for Sexual Freedom and Choice
Free to Choose is a coalition of Alliance for Choice, Belfast Feminist Network; ICTU Youth Committee and The Rainbow Project. The coalition have come together to highlight the 150th Anniversary of the Offences Against the Person Act which was enacted in 1861 and still controls the lives of women and men in Northern Ireland in relation to reproductive health and sexual orientation.
Sexual freedom is the fundamental human right of all individuals to develop and express their unique sexuality. This includes having personal autonomy with regard to bodily integrity, to sexual dignity, to privacy and to consensual sexual expression without societal or governmental interference, coercion or stigmatisation.
Free to Choose envisions a world that recognizes the full human rights of all individuals to develop and express their unique sexuality, with the right to make their own decisions about their bodies, to express themselves freely and to enjoy sexual dignity, privacy and consensual sexual expression.
This Manifesto has two main aims:
1. We believe that a woman has the right to choose and access safe abortion services and we advocate for the 1967 abortion Act to be extended to Northern Ireland.
2. We believe that the diversity of sexual orientation should be celebrated and that homophobia and heterosexism cannot be tolerated in any form.
Our call is for the Westminster Government to abolish this outdated legislation, and that in Northern Ireland, the NI Executive extend the 1967 Abortion Act and to publish the long awaited Sexual Orientation Strategy in order that women and men in Northern Ireland can exercise sexual freedom and choice over the most intimate and personal aspects of their lives.
Did you know that in 1861:
- The light bulb was invented
- Queen Victoria was on the Throne
- 1st moving picture peep show machine is patented by Samuel Goodale
- 1st Trams operate in London
- American Civil War Begins